The Libra constellation got its name from the Latin term for weighing scales based on it’s apparent form in the night sky. Libra is fairly faint in the night sky with no first magnitude stars but it can still be spotted in the night sky with a telescope on a clear night. The brightest star in the constellation is Beta Librae which has an apparent magnitude of 2.61 and is approximately 185 light years away from Earth. Libra itself is the only constellation that represents an inanimate object and is the 29th largest constellation in the night sky, occupying a space of 538 sq degrees.
To find Libra in the night sky, look for the Big Dipper, which is part of the constellation Ursa Major. Follow the curve of the handle down to the bright star Arcturus in the nearby constellation Boötes. From there, look down to Virgo. Libra is right next to Virgo, not far from the star Spica. To find the constellation on a map or if you have an advanced telescope, the following info will help you locate Libra in the night sky-
- Right ascension (the distance east of the First Point of Aries, measured along the celestial equator.): 15 hours 30 minutes
- Declination (the angular distance of a point on the celestial equator): 15° south declination.
- On the map: Visible between latitudes +65° and −90°
- Best seen: Best visible at 21:00 (9 p.m.) during the month of June.
Libra was known in Babylon Astronomy as MUL Zibanu meaning scales or balance. The scales were held sacred to the sun god Shamash, who was the patron of truth and justice. Since these times, Libra has been associated with law, fairness and civility.
Get to know your Libra friends
Ever wondered what your strengths and weaknesses are? As with every zodiac, those born within certain periods are thought to have a particular set of traits based on their Zodiac sign.
- Strengths – Charming, Harmonious, Diplomatic, Easy going nature, polished
- Weaknesses – Indecisive, Superficial, Hypocritical, Gullible, passive aggressive.
- Ruling Planet – Venus
- Modality – Cardinal
- Polarity – Active
- Element – Air
- Tarot Card – Justice
- Symbol – the Scales
The sun passes through the Libra area of the Zodiac between the 23rd of September and the 22nd of October. With a Libra birthday coming up, why not name a star after them? See all of our packages available below -